The Student Spaceflight Experiments Program will provide our students with an unprecedented, authentic challenge to design a real experiment to fly in space. Our participation in SSEP enhances our STEM commitment in the following ways:
- Truly historic opportunity to get students across our district excited about science through an experiment slot reserved for us on a misson to the International Space Station.
- An experiment design competition allowing students the ability to propose a REAL experiment, using a mini-laboratory where their experiment will fly next to those created by professional scientists.
- Community-wide immersion: Teachers, students, administrators, parents, community members, business professionals and university faculty will join together through the SSEP program to form a community-wide engagement in STEM education.
- SSEP is a wonderful, comprehensive program in science and technology education that demonstrates science is fun, done by ordinary people reflecting cultural, gender, and socio-economic diversity, and is reflective of a personal and emotional journey of exploration and learning. This is nothing short of a celebration of learning for our entire community.
- Expose and immerse both teachers and students in real science: including framing of a science investigation, experiment design, writing a proposal, a formal review process, a formal flight safety review, participating in a science conference, and communicating design approaches and results at the conference.
The Student Spaceflight Experiments Program perfectly exemplifies student generated experimentation, communicating and presenting a scientific proposal, and collaboration with our community business and industry mentors.